Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tribute to Mom

With this Sunday being Mother's Day, I'm going to combine Ten on Tuesday and Way Back Wednesday and do a tribute post to my Mom today. Last month marked the ninth anniversary of my mom's death. I can't even believe it's been that long. It doesn't seem real sometimes.... that she can be gone and that I can have four children who she never knew. I feel blessed that she was there to raise and take care of me, to be there for my graduations from high school and college and for my wedding....and to meet my first-born child. Some people don't even have that much time with their moms, and I realize this. But I do miss her desperately and sometimes when I look at my children and see the cute things they do or hear the cute things they say or see the amazing things they accomplish....I become overcome with sadness that she's not seeing it. Well...I know she's seeing it, but I selfishly would like to see her seeing it. You know?!?

Ten things about my Mom:

1. Her real name was JoAnn but everybody called her "Jaye". My friends called her Jayezee.
2. She was the oldest of 5 children...three sisters and one brother.
3. She had beautiful light blue eyes and curly hair.
4. From what I can gather, she was a Daddy's-girl. She loved her Dad so much and I could see the genuine happiness on her face when she spoke about him.
5. She was a nurse by trade...and an awesome one at that, very much respected by the docs and her peers. She had many good stories from working in the Emergency Room for many years.
6. She was a very strong and independent woman.
7. She loved sports...huge Red Sox fan and loved watching me play sports. I can remember her always showing up to my soccer games in her white nurse's uniform.
8. She loved animals, particularly dogs.
9. She went to Ireland twice. I am so happy she was able to do that.
10. She loved music....Celine Dion, Michael Bolton, Barbra Streisand....many more.

Ten pictures of my mom

In the middle here with a cousin and sister.

Her First Communion. I love this picture and have it framed.

Look at the mop of hair here. No wonder she kept mine SHORT!

With her Dad pre-wedding.

With my sister and I at my First Communion.

She and I one Christmas.

At the receiving line of my wedding.

Big smiles together at my wedding.

Meeting Jack.


With Jack on the day of his Christening.

She was a wonderful, wonderful woman.

1 comment:

Deb Hanna said...

oh that is so nice. I miss my Dad all the time. He never met Marc and certainly never met any of our kids- but he would have loved being a grandpa. thanks for sharing your memories.