Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Brush With Hollywood

A few months ago Jack started to really take a liking to an actor he saw in a few commercials. Every time this commercial for State Farm Insurance came on he would laugh and mention how he loved the guy in this commercial.




So of course with a few clicks on google Chris was able to identify the actor, Aaron Takahashi, and found some of his other commercials on you tube. Another few clicks and Chris found him on Facebook and sent him a message saying how his boys were big fans. Jack began to beg for an Aaron Takahashi T-shirt. I told him I doubted they had t-shirts of him yet (no offense if you ever read this, Aaron). Jack told me I could make one and I should just go to t-shirts.com.

Aaron replied a few days later and and at that time Chris decided to see if he could work a miracle and perhaps get him to send a signed photo. It was before Christmas and Aaron said he would send one along but probably wouldn't make it for the holidays. Which, of course, was fine. Jack would be out of his head excited with any acknowledgment.

One day at the end of January I found a letter in the mail addressed to Jack and Ben. The postmark was from Los Angeles, CA. I knew just what it was and was so excited for the boys to get home from school. Unfortunately Chris was enjoying a long weekend skiing in Wyoming so he wasn't going to witness the excitement. But I had my camera ready to capture the scene.

So the boys came home from school and I waited for the right moment. I told the boys they got some mail and Jack came dashing over and grabbed the envelope from me. I thought for sure when he saw the postmark he would know right then what was inside the envelope. But I found out later he actually thought it was from Chris.

I think the following series of pictures pretty much captures Jack's excitement as he begins to realize what he had just received.


He then proceeded to run around and flail around on the floor for a while.

The boys were so excited about their personalized and autographed pictures. Doesn't Aaron rock?

Thank you so much Aaron!!! You made some boys incredibly happy!!

16 comments:

Ellen (AKA Mary Lou) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
edw said...

I've had the opportunity to work with Aaron. He's not only a great actor but a really great person. I think this story is so sweet and, funny thing is, Aaron actually does have his own t-shirts. They are great. Cartoon caricature of his face. He gave one to each of the castmates that were in a play we were all in!

ilovemesomeboxers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhoda Baldwin said...

Aaron is a good friend of mine that I have been lucky enough to work with on a couple of comedic short films. He is just as funny and amazing as a person as he is an actor. And yes, I have one of his shirts. This story is the sweetest thing ever.

Erin Nomura Photography said...

Aaron is actually a friend of mine and I am SO tickled that your boys adore him as much as his friends do out here in California! Aaron is not only a great actor, he has a warm, fuzzy fun and contagious personality to boot!!! There really are nice guys in Hollywood! And Aaron is really golden! I'm very touched by your sons enthusiasm and joy!

Lauren Wong said...

As everyone else has mentioned, Aaron is one of the nicest, kindest, funniest, sweetest people on earth. We are all so happy and proud of his succcesses in the industry, and to know that there are people like you and your family who also admire his great work. This story was so touching and sweet!! I'm so glad your sons enjoyed the picture so much!

HOTA said...

I love this!!! Your sons are so adorable! I've known Aaron since he was 5 and been able to perform with him several times. I agree with everyone who knows Aaron. He's a talented, funny, sweet and all-around good guy! He's the best and great things are coming his way. :) Thanks for sharing this story.

ryukyusoul said...

What a lovely story! I am also a friend of Aaron - in that namedropping way, I've known him since high school. He is as talented and as sweet as everyone says. I'm sure Jack and Ben also will not be forgotten by Aaron and as his body of work grows, they will have this special memory for a lifetime of a "remember when?". You are such lovely parents! It inspires me to see what kind of joy I can bring to some special little boys in my life!

James said...

Aaron is in fact an awesome guy. Great story.

Corinne said...

Awesome story! I've known Aaron for years and just like everyone else said, he is a great guy. He's extremely kind and generous. It is so wonderful to see your sons' adorable expressions in your blog. Thank you for sharing with all of us!

michelled said...

Thank you all for taking the time to leave me these awesome comments. I am so excited that this whole episode transpired. It will be a great memory. And it sounds like you are all wonderful and supportive friends!!

James said...

That's a great story. It gives me hope that things will change for the better in Hollywood. Thanks for sharing it :)

Prince Gomolvilas said...

I'm not cool enough to know Aaron personally :), but this is an awesome story! Thanks for sharing it, and thanks for the amusing pics!

James Huang said...

This is fantastic. Aaron is a star! I'll be sure to get you a funny 4 min. short that I am completing with Aaron called 'Represent' where his comedic genius shines.

Bee's hive said...

What a great job photographing your son! I remember as a kid I got a pen pal giant manila envelope from a class in Manitoba Canada and acted much the same way...A life time memory was created,and a happy smile later in a reflective moment in your boys life and he will always remember Aaron too!
Thank you for a great Saturday morning smile! And Thank you Aaron Takahashi...how many times have we done that SAME thing driving in our lubmacheen's (aka minivans)?!

digitalkimchee said...

What an awesome story! Love the pictures!