Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Nine

Yesterday my Ben turned 9 years old. I remember his birth like it was yesterday. It was a long, painful and tiring induction. But as soon as he was born I knew he was going to be a beautiful, special boy. He arrived one year and one minute from the day I buried my mother 10 years ago. I truly believe he was a gift from God -- to help make up for the loss of my mom. And I believe that my mother's spirit was there to delay his birth one minute so that it didn't coincide with her burial. He was born on Good Friday the 13th.

So nine years later, who is Ben? He is my mellow, easy-going second born son who brings me complete joy. He is introspective and doesn't say much. He doesn't usually offer details or initiate conversation. He's going to be the child that I have to find out things about his life from his siblings and friends. I often wonder what he is thinking.

He doesn't look a thing like me and is built differently than his father, his siblings and me. He's solid and perfectly proportioned. And although he doesn't look like me physically, I have learned we have a whole lot in common other than looks.

He loves animals....in particular our dog Chewie. He is sensitive and quietly competitive. He likes math and to be challenged. His teacher tells me he is highly self-motivated. He loves sports and plays baseball and soccer. He keeps up with the older kids physically in neighborhood sporting games and also likes to play imaginary games of war with Luke. On Rockband guitar he plays songs on 'expert' and recently started taking acoustic guitar lessons. He loves to read and his most recent favorite series are Percy Jackson and Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III. He continues to love Sponge Bob and watch episodes over and over and over. Likes his hamburgers without cheese (like me) and his tacos with just sour cream and meat. He is kind. There is not much I wouldn't do for this boy.


An attempt to capture his beautiful blue eyes and cute new freckles.

For his birthday this year he elected to take a few friends to see the movie How to Train Your Dragon on the opening day. So his buddies, siblings and I had a quick celebration at home before we headed off to the movie and dinner. I made a dragon cake for him and it seemed to be a big hit.

The crew.....

And right before we left he received a call from some ladies in his class and the boys all huddled in to be part of the conversation....

It was a fun night and Ben loved the movie. Dinner at Pizzeria Uno was great and Ben seemed happy with the whole thing. That made me happy.

2 comments:

Craigwp said...

A special boy indeed. He was surely a gift from God. Please give him a peck on the cheek for me..please!!

Deb said...

love the cake- well done!