Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Some Firsts...and Things that Define Her

Over the last 6-8 months there sure hasn't been that much blogging by me. I have taken SO many pictures, but have been struggling to fit in the time to edit, upload, post and write. (Not to mention how annoying it is that you can't move photos around within a blog post on Blogger. Arghhhh!).

Over the last eight months my Chica has had some important things happen in her life....some 'firsts' that were never documented. And in the last year I have learned a lot about who she is and who she may become.

Becoming a Hostess


About 8 months ago she had her first play date at the house with her friend, Rose. Both were only three at the time and both are the youngest in a family of four kids. So both know what they want and what they don't want. And although Rose is all about dressing up and princesses and Chica might rather play with some of her brothers' boy stuff, they always agree on snack time and arts and crafts. Here, Chica is showing Rose her ABC book.

Fearless Water Lover

I know she gets this from me. I loved water as a child from a very early age. And Chica clearly has loved water since birth. I signed her up for some semi-private lessons with her buddies Rose and Norah and the three of them completely blossomed in the water together. They went from from a little nervous to get their faces wet to jumping in and swimming across the little warm pool without any swimmies. It was amazing.


So I knew this was going to be a big summer for Chica in the pool. She took her first jumps off of Li's diving board in June. From that point on she was all about jumping in. And at home in our pool, she would beg for me to let her take her vest off to swim to "Jackie". I would allow this if I was out there watching or in the pool myself.


Arts and Crafts with Accompanying Messes

I've learned this is very much a girl thing. Girls can sit, color, paint and draw for hours. Chica has a little box which holds her painting stuff. She helps herself to taking it out and setting up right in the middle of the kitchen floor, with her body lying in the living room. Her artsy-fartsy time is helpful to me in getting things done around the house...and it's not TV or computer....so I embrace it (and its mess). Now clean up, that's another story. She moans that "she can't do it all by herself!". But we are working on that....

Miss Sporty

The odds of this girl not being interested in sports is slim. Sports is big around our house. And I, as her roll model, also love sports. She wants to be included in the excitement and achievements. She will ask, "Will you hit to me?". This brings me back to the countless hours Jack would have me pitch balls to him in the basement as a toddler.

She seems to have pretty good hand-eye coordination. Chris was pitching balls to her in the front and I had my camera out. Here is her proud smirk after she has hit a wiffle ball and I've made a big deal of it. So proud. So determined. She has incredible confidence....something I didn't have a lot of as a child. Must be Daddy's genes.

Dog Freak and Potential Future Handler

This girl loves dogs. I am completely guilty of passing along this passion. I will go out of my way to meet a dog. This probably explains why when she sees one of our neighborhood dogs being walked by the house, she will yell their name, burst open the door and run to the end of the driveway to say hello.....barefoot and in pajamas.

Chica LOVES to have a dog on leash. She has figured out how to work the leashes and also how to get the dogs' electric fence collars off. She loves to pull Chewie around the yard but he can't stand it and runs the other way when he sees her coming. Buddy is the ultimate trooper. She will bribe him into a walk around the house. Around and around they go until either Chica gets bored Buddy plops himself down and refuses to get back up. I think she may have a future at Westminster.

Bubbles

I don't know if it's just that I don't recall when the boys passed certain milestones but I feel like Chica is doing things quicker than her boys. Of course I'm sure that being the fourth child has a big part in all of this. She started snapping her fingers around two. I thought that was pretty early. And this summer she learned how to blow bubbles with gum. Luke's and our friend, Aidan, taught her right after he learned himself. One day when I had my camera out she insisted I snap some pictures of her showing off her bubbles.

There is another exciting milestone that she passed which deserves a whole post of its own. But for now at least I feel like I have caught up on documenting who my baby girl has become the last several months. Because I know I'll forget these things in a couple of years!

2 comments:

john said...

big strides for your little girl :) glad to see you documented it...

she's a cutie.

Deb Hanna said...

what a great post!