Thursday, October 14, 2010

What I've Been Missing

Yesterday was one of the most glorious fall days on record. Not too cold, not too hot, beautiful blue skies, gorgeous colors everywhere.

I've lived in this town on and off for approximately 32 years and I'm embarrassed to say that I don't recall ever taking a hike in one of the few spots around town that people hike with their families and pets. A friend (who did not grow up here!) posted some pictures on her blog from a hike through a local preserve and I sort of invited myself on her next hike.

I decided to bring Buddy with me on the hike. This proved to be both a good and a bad idea. Buddy loved the exercise and oooooh...the smells!! But he desperately wanted to keep up with his new friend, Stella, who was off leash. I was too afraid that if I let Buddy off leash he would put his nose down and be gone forever. So, he pulled me up and down the trail and I am just thankful that I didn't trip over a tree root or twist an ankle.

My friend and I stopped a several times to enjoy the sites and grab a picture or two. The photo opportunities were endless, especially with a macro lens. I wasn't overly impressed with the foliage. But the colors haven't been as bright this year and the leaves seem to have turned and fallen early than normal.

But I did manage to get a few shots to document the wonderful hike.

Some bittersweet...


Stella in a clearing with some nice foliage in the background...

Bittersweet encroaching on the apple trees...

There is an apple orchard along the way and the apples looked so much better than the ones my son brought home from a local commerical orchard.


Photographing nature doesn't come super easy to me and was even more difficult with Buddy in tow. But I was happy to come home with this photo of Stella. This was a lucky shot, but definitely in my comfort zone.

Thanks, Becky!! Let me know when you want to go again! Although I would also really like to join you for chocolates and white wine!!

2 comments:

john said...

great shots michelle! more exploration and photos please :)

cggrlogan said...

I said to my husband that your arm must have been sore last evening. Yes, it was a glorious day indeed! Thanks for joining us and what a marvelous photo of Stella! The bittersweet colors are just beautiful. Maybe a repeat next week?

Becky