Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Editing with Textures!

Over the last couple of months I've learned lots of new tricks in Photoshop Elements. I took Kim Klassen's Essentials E-Course and expanded my knowledge of Elements quite a bit. Playing with textures is so fun and can result in such a different look to your photos. The challenge for me is that there are SO many textures out there and it takes a lot of time to figure out which textures work for your photos. The possibilities are endless!!!

I've also enjoyed submitting photos to Pioneer Woman's assignments and to a website that Becky turned me on to, Mortal Muses. At Mortal Muses there are weekly themes and the nine women muses from the site share a photo of theirs and pick a companion photo from the Flickr group submissions.

Recently the Mortal Muses' theme was Doors and Windows. I remembered back to a photo I had taken of Chica sitting atop our couch looking out the window. I believe I originally took this photo for another photo challenge for Boston.com, but I can't remember which one! Regardless, one of the muses selected my photo and it was featured on the site one day. I was very surprised and excited! (See post here).

I just wanted to share my original photo and the how I edited it in Elements using textures.

Original - unedited


Edited.

Another recent theme at Mortal Muses was transportation. I submitted a photo taken at our friends' lake house in NH of the boys on a kayak adventure by my favorite red boat house. Here are the original and edited versions.


Pioneer Woman recently had a photo assignment of Horses. I probably had no right entering that contest because the pictures were out of this world. But I did enter a couple photos for fun after playing with textures. I was pleased with the the way they came out.

This is an unedited photo of my sister-in-law's horse, Shaboobie.

Edited with textures.

I photographed another special horse in our house for the contest. His name is Horsey and he belongs to my oldest son. He was given to Jack by our friend's parents when he was born. This bright red Mary Meyer horse was the softest and most plush little guy when we put him in Jack's crib when he was born. Jack attached himself to Horsey from the beginning and they are still sleeping buddies to this day. After 11 years, Horsey is kept together by threads in some areas. You can see the stuffing in his body where the material has worn away. So very loved!

Original photo.

Edited.


So much to learn....so little time. But textures can be really fun to play with!

1 comment:

cggrlogan said...

Wow, you did a great job with the textures! They really enhanced each photo.