Wednesday, May 30, 2012

New and Different

We're just not basketball people. Or at least we hadn't been until this past winter. Jack's buddies were looking for a couple more players for their rec team and asked Jack if he would play.  Surprisingly, he was interested and asked me if he could sign on. I wasn't really sure how to answer since I'd never been asked the question. We've always had our winters open to skiing, with some low-key indoor soccer.  But I felt like I should let him try. It was rec and the coach said it would be fine if we needed to miss a few games for skiing.  And it certainly wasn't as costly and time-intensive as hockey. So ultimately I said sure.

A day or so later I received a text asking if Ben would also like to play.  Coach heard that Ben and Jack play sports together and that Ben is athletic.  Ben was excited for the invite and to give basketball a try. So my two boys became teammates once again.

The boys enjoyed practicing and playing from the beginning.  And after they got their new basketball sneakers for Christmas, they were really good to go. I loved to watch them play.  They both naturally fit into the guard position.

The photos didn't come out that great so I didn't take many. But some came out acceptable enough to share...and good enough to document the memories.

As always, Ben played with quiet determination.


Jack amazed me with his leaping steals.


The headbands started out as a bit of a joke but Jack and a few of his teammates wore them for every game.  He lost the "lucky" band during the season and we had to go purchase another.


There were only 2 fifth graders on the team.  Ben sure hung with the big guys.






There was no catching Ben when we stole the ball. I'm pretty sure he won every round of 'suicides' in practice the whole season.



The two brothers bringing it down together.










For a new player, Jack was aggressive with outside shooting and was able to sink a few three's during the season.


The team made it to the semi-finals in the playoffs but couldn't get past a very tough team. All good things must come to an end.



Of course now the other kids want to give basketball a try. One thing for sure I didn't appreciate is how good of a workout basketball is with the constant running back and forth. Jack and Ben wouldn't play together next year based on their grades so I'll be curious to see who continues on playing.....and if the younger kids decided to try it!

No comments: